Monday 21 October 2013

I Have Too Many Leftovers

We seem to go through cycles.  One week our fridge will be completely, or at least nearly, empty of leftovers, and the next week there will be so many I don't know what to do with them.  It doesn't help that my Many Children (including the big, overgrown child) will eat everything I make and more one day, and not touch their food the next; or, that they'll eat and eat and eat something, and hardly touch it the next time I make the same thing.  It makes food quantities pretty hard to guess.

Anyway, this week is one of the "so many I don't know what to do with them" weeks.  I have a big container of scalloped potatoes, two different types of leftover chicken, mexican-style rice, roast beef, fried onions, and probably a few more things I've forgotten about.  So, I figured it was time to use some of those things up.  Monday night is pasta night, so I wanted to use some sort of noodle base; and roast beef and fried onions aren't something that would get eaten quickly, so I wanted to use them up.  There was a little bit of sour cream left in a container to use up before I could open up the new container and get it out of the fridge downstairs.  It all added up to beef stroganoff.

I would take pictures (it's still on the stove as I type) but although it tastes pretty good, it looks revolting.  I've never liked the look of beef stroganoff.  So, I'll just put up the recipe, suggest you eat it without looking at it, and hope you enjoy.

Leftover Beef Stroganoff

leftover roast beef, cut into thin strips
about 1/2 cup fried onions, or raw if you don't have any
coarsely chopped garlic...I used three cloves
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
the last bit of a container of sour cream, plus about 3/4 cup more to top it off
a generous sprinkle of paprika

Heat up the beef, onions, and garlic until the garlic (and the onions, if they were raw) is (or are) soft.  Dump in the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and paprika, stir it all up, and heat it through.  Voila!  Really ridiculously easy beef stroganoff.  Serve it over egg noodles and you have a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment