Friday 19 July 2013

Cherries and Jam, and the Garden

With the advent of summer, preserving season has begun for me.  Last week I canned cherries


and made cherry-berry freezer jam.  Three dozen cherries are frozen with a view to making cherry kuchen from The Man's Oma's recipe.  This year is peach year, and I would like to can pears for a switch-up.  Apples and pears will both hit the dehydrator.  The kids eat them like candy!  Very healthy candy, that is.  There are also raspberries in the freezer, and there will be blueberries once blueberry season hits, as well as a few oven-ready blueberry pies.  Hopefully my house will be well-stocked until next year or the zombie apocalypse, whichever comes first.

My garden is also growing well.  I rehydrated (seriously) two 84c tomato plants from Superstore and planted another two, bigger, Roma tomato plants that I got for 2.50 apiece.  Two of the blueberry plants are in the ground and the other two are still thriving in their pots; some baby apple trees, courtesy of the tree next door, are suffering in their new pots alongside my happy little peach tree and will hopefully revive. The roses are tidied, my flower pots are still blooming, and I haven't killed the heather yet.  Yesterday I ate the very first, tiny, chewy strawberry from my new strawberry plants

How do you enjoy the summer and fall harvest?

2 comments:

  1. Seeing your great home canning put me in the mood for a summer ice cream sundae with plenty of canned cherries all over French vanilla ice cream.

    Wishing you a stellar August, dear Maman!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Now you've got me in the same mood. Hope you can get your craving satisfied soon and often. :)

    ReplyDelete