Thursday 8 August 2013

On the Bookshelf: Bleak House



The book currently in the spotlight, and actually off the shelf (on a chair beside it, to be precise) is Bleak House by Charles Dickens.  It's the very first Dickens book I've ever read, and while I was warned that Dickens is rather, well, bleak, I'm enjoying it mightily.  It's a novel about a will dispute and the lives of the people involved, and includes love, murder, friendship, and intrigue.  It also contains a lot of ridiculousness, which lightens it up immensely.  In fact, there have been several parts that made me laugh out loud.

I find the characters delightfully well-developed, including the more minor characters, and the plot moves along nicely, albeit slowly.  The story itself changes point of view frequently, but each view is easy to differentiate and the changes are easy to follow.

I can't say how it's going to end, not being there yet, and I wouldn't anyway.  However, if you're into Dickens and long books (my edition is just shy of 900 pages), I highly recommend picking it up and giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment